A chemical operator that is looking to appoint an outsourced built infrastructure specialist to ensure regulatory compliance and reliability excellence needs to ensure that their service provider has the appropriate level of competence to carry out this critical business function. At RSS we have a unique combination of skills and experience from both the chemical and construction sectors.
This bespoke portfolio of capabilities enables us to provide a cost effective solution to the highly specialised challenge of infrastructure management in the chemical sector.
We are certain that we are the only service provider in the UK that can provide the above portfolio of credentials and our competitive advantage is enhanced by our combination of this bespoke competence with our competitive operating costs and fees.
Our track record is the best testament of our capability. Our initial appointment from one of our current COMAH clients was to carry out a small repair scheme on some secondary containment structures. Since our first appointment, and several subsequent successful outcomes on infrastructure rehabilitation schemes, this customer has now entrusted us with the responsibility to inspect, register and plan the prioritised maintenance of over 500 built assets.
An operator that engages with RSS will also be permitted to nominate Grant Roxburgh as their Competent Person for all built infrastructure related matters.
Grant has a unique combination of practical experience in both the Chemical Processing and Construction industries. His career began as an indentured apprentice at, what is now, a COMAH Top Tier site. After completing his training as a Plant Fitter, and with a new interest in the construction industry, he made the unorthodox decision to commence a Civil and Structural Engineering degree at Sheffield University.
After obtaining his honours degree, Grant commenced work in the infrastructure rehabilitation division of one of the UK’s largest construction contractors. In the 9 years he spent there, he progressed through the ranks from his initial position as a Site Engineer through to a Regional Manager. Seeking new challenges, Grant set up his first infrastructure rehabilitation business in 2000 and has since then been a company director in this specialised sector.
In 2007, Grant’s career came full circle as RSS was appointed to carry out specialist built asset works at COMAH Top Tier site at which he began his career. Grant has now accrued 22 years of experience as a senior construction professional, the last 6 of which have included built infrastructure services to the chemical sector. He has managed over 400 successfully completed over infrastructure rehabilitation schemes.
Through these projects he has built an extensive portfolio of knowledge of a wide range of specialist remediation techniques that can be used to extend the usable life of ageing built assets on chemical processing sites:
• Vacuum Assisted Resin Crack Injection
• Leak Sealing, Hand Applied Structural Repairs
• Corrosion Control Systems
• Composite Strengthening (Carbon Fibre)
• Sprayed Concrete
• Pressure Grouting
• Protective Coatings
• Joint Sealing Right
• Driven Steel Mini Piles
• Masonry Stitching
• Remedial Wall Ties
• Chemical Resistant Linings
Grant has a track record of consulting and contracting projects that are consistently completed to the highest standards of quality, health & safety and sustainability. His project portfolio has exceeded the UK construction industry performance measurement benchmark data in every year since 2007.
Grant's industry specific credentials include:
• Chemical and Process Engineering
– Indentured Apprentice Plant Fitter on, what is now, a COMAH Top Tier Site
– National Certificate in Engineering (18 Grades – 5 Distinction, 11 Merit, 2 Pass)
– Institution of Plant Engineers (NW) Student Prize 1988
– Current Inspector of Built Assets for a Blue Chip International Chemical Company
– Expert knowledge of Built Asset Integrity Management Systems on Chemical Processing sites
– Competent Person for the inspection of Built Assets (Buildings and Structures)
– Competent Person for the inspection and certification of Secondary and Tertiary Containment (in accordance with Competent Authority Containment Policy requirements)
– Skilled in the built infrastructure application of the requirements of both the Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) and Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres (DSEAR) Regulations
– Skilled in the built infrastructure application of the PAS 55 Asset Management standard
– Honours Degree in Civil and Structural Engineering from Sheffield University
– Accredited Construction NVQ Assessor
– Approved Thor Helical Surveyor (specialist masonry repair systems)
– Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) accredited at Manager level
– 22 Years of Experience in the specialist field of Structural Rehabilitation
– Management level responsibility for over 400 construction projects
– 13 years of experience at Company Director level
– Working knowledge of the built infrastructure application of the PAS 1192 Building Information Modelling standard
– Managing Director of a Full Contractor Member of the Concrete Repair Association - http://www.cra.org.uk
– Member of the Contracts Committee of the National Specialist Contractors Council - http://www.nscc.org.uk
– NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice
– Technician member of The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
– Associate Member of International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
Grant’s combination of knowledge, skills and experience satisfies the implicit and explicit requirements for “competence” under the following legislation:
• Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, Sections 2 and 3;
• Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999, Regulation 5;
• Environmental Permitting Regulations (England and Wales) 2010; and
• Pollution Prevention and Control Regulations (Scotland) 2000, Regulations 3, 7, 8 and Schedule 4
At RSS, we provide a truly bespoke service tailored to the precise infrastructure management requirements of the chemical sector. Our competence provides reliable specialist support our clients at each stage of the built infrastructure management cycle.
Where areas of improvement are identified, we provide added value in the form of knowledge and experience of specialist techniques that can be implemented to achieve compliance at optimal cost.
If you would like to find out more on how your organisation can benefit from the cost effective built infrastructure competence provided by RSS please don’t hesitate to contact us.
PLEASE DROP US AN EMAIL